Ingredients:(Vegan Pasteis de NataPasteis de Belem)
350g package puff pastry sheet (I used Jus Rol)
1 cup (250 ml) soya milk, or other vegan milk
3 tablespoons cornflour / cornstarch
1 cup (200 g) sugar
2 slices fresh lemon peel
1 stick cinnamon
2 tsp Vegg + 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
Directions:(Vegan Pasteis de NataPasteis de Belem)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C. Mix the soya milk, sugar, corn flour (cornstarch) in a small saucepan. Add the lemon peel and cinnamon and cook over medium heat until it just starts to thicken. Add the blended Vegg and stir over medium heat until the mixture is quite thick and custard-like, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain, so the solid bits (like lemon peel and cinnamon) are strained out. I strained mine into a glass measuring cup for easy pouring.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Remove the puff pastry sheet from its wrapping and roll along the long end. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Put a piece of pastry in a muffin tin hole, and press it until it starts to cover the hole in a rounded shape.
- Pour the custard (soya milk/Vegg mixture) into the pastry shells, filling them only 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 375 F/190 C for 20 minutes. If you want blackened spots on top of your pasteis like the traditional ones, broil them for 1 minute, keeping a close eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the muffin tin and move to cooling rack to cool down completely. Serve warm and coated in icing sugar/powdered sugar, if desired.