Ingredients: (Maangchis fried chicken)
3 pounds (about 1.5 kg) of chicken chunks
ground black pepper
potato starch powderflour
sweet rice flouregg
canola oil (or vegetable oil)
hot pepper pasterice syrupapple vinegar.
Directions: (Maangchis fried chicken)
- Rinse chunks of chicken in cold water. Drain.
- Add 1 ts ground black pepper and 1 ts kosher salt.
- Add ½ cup potato starch powder, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup sweet rice flour, 1 ts baking soda, and 1 egg.
- Mix well by hand and completely coat the chicken.
- Put 6-7 cups of canola oil in a wok or frying pan and heat it up.
- After it’s heated for about 7-8 minutes, test if the oil is ready by dipping a sample chunk of chicken into the oil. If the oil bubbles, it’s the right temperature to start frying.
- Fry them using the double-frying method:
- Fry the chicken chunks for 10 minutes over high heat.
- Take them out of the oil and shake them off in a strainer. Let them sit for a few minutes.
- Fry them again for another 10 minutes until all pieces look golden brown and are crunchy outside.
- While you are frying, you can make the sauce:
- Put 1 tbs canola oil and 4 cloves of minced garlic into a heated pan,
- Add 1/3 cup tomato ketchup, 1/3 cup rice syrup, ¼ cup hot pepper paste, 1 tbs apple vinegar and simmer the mixture for about about 7 minutes. Keep your heat low and be sure not to burn the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and wait until the chicken is done.
- Chicken is done? Then coat your chicken with the sauce:
- Reheat the sauce.
- Put the freshly fried chicken into the sauce and gently mix it up with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds over top and serve hot or warm.