Ingredients: (Island Mojo)
1 cup (8-oz. can) tomato sauce
1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
1/4 cup canned or jarred pimento, cut in thin strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons capers
1 bay leaf
Ground black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
Directions: (Island Mojo)
Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with pepper.
Ingredients:(Chawanmushi Savory Egg Custard)
2 cups (480ml) Dashi1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Sake1 tsp Mirin2-4 shrimp, sliced into 2 pieces each if big
1/2 chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces
1-2 shiitake mushroom, sliced
Mitsuba leaves or green onion, chopped
Directions:(Chawanmushi Savory Egg Custard)
- Preseason chicken and shrimps. In a small bowl, mix chicken pieces with 1/2 tsp soy sauce and 1/2 tsp Sake. In another bowl, mix shrimp and 1/2 tsp soy sauce and 1/2 tsp Sake. Let them sit for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix eggs, Dashi, salt, 1 tsp soy sauce, and Mirin together. Strain the egg mixture through a sieve. Let as much egg as you can go through the sieve.
- Place 1/4 amount of chicken, shrimp, and shiitake mushrooms in each of 4 small cups (such as ramekins), then pour egg mixture over them to fill 3/4 of a cup. Cover with aluminum foil and put the covered cups into a steamer.
- Steam at medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Check with a wooden skewer to see if it’s done. If clear broth comes out when poked, take the cups out from the steamer.
- Sprinkle Mitsuba leaves and cover again for 2-3 minutes.